AS and ISA Surf Instructor Level 1 Morocco
Our goal is the training of competent surf coaches with the relevant surfing skills and knowledge to be able to independently instruct surfers at beginner to intermediate stage in surf schools as well as assist the head coach / Level 2 Instructor in doing his tasks in surf camps (where special skills are requested).
The course consists of the ISA L1 surf instructor course plus extra modules developed by AS to cater for the special needs of surf camps. This combination has established our coaching program as the most requested one in surf camps in Europe and worldwide.
- The ISA accreditation is the only accreditation globally recognized by the ISA
- Austrian Surfing is (as one of only a few European Surfing Associations) recognized by our National Sports Organisation (and thus federally recognized!)
The Moroccan experience:
- Africa means: Adventure! Things can be quite different from Europe, so expect the unexpected!
- Morocco has awesome waves, and these awesome waves can be quite sizey in winter.. .
- If you want to experience the North African charm and surf long rights, you are for sure right in this course - once you have surfed one of the legendary points you will never forget it :)
There are currently no events available.Inquire
* If only German-speaking participants register for certain courses, we will run the course in German.
- 7 days course, course manuals and workbooks (AS and ISA as PDFs), worksheets, beginner boards, examination fees - there are no hidden costs in our courses!
- 7 nights accommodation
- Full board: Rich breakfast buffet, beach snack, dinner
- ISA membership (1 year)
- Name appears in ISA Surf Coach Online Register for one year
- L1 accreditation
- AS job service: We are in contact with many surf camps and forward their job offers to all AS instructors
- AS update service: As all knowledge is dynamic we are constantly revising our course manuals in order to include new findings. The new manuals are sent to you as PDFs to ensure your level is always state-of-the-art. It is our endeavour to not only provide one course, but also try to help you find a job and your way of life as a surfer and a friend of AS.
- AS Instructor Partner-Programs: Mica Surfboards - special deals for our instructors!
As we have been receiving quite a few requests lately: Please understand that it is not possible to do the course without food and accommodation for organisational and logistical reasons. We are happy to have an appropriate location for the definitely demanding course, as a result of its infrastructure we can run the course as smooth and time efficient as possible!
Accommodation is in 3-person-rooms in the Camino Surf Camp in Aglou south of Agadir. As a member of the Surf School Alliance Camino Surf stands for the highest standard in surf coaching and is therefore the perfect location for our courses. We are offering full board in Morocco, as well, so no time needs to be spent on shopping, cooking etc., and we can fully concentrate on the course!
Flight to Agadir, then per taxi (40 - 50 €, can be divided between up to 5 guests) to the Camino Surf Camp.
From Marrakesh: In 3.5 - 4 hours to Agadir with Supratours, then as described above.
AS GREEN ROOM: To keep our Ecological Footprint as low as possible we are covering the CO2-compensation payments for all participants who come by plane to Morocco as it is indeed not so easy to get there by public transport or car pooling. We are (via the Compensation system of the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna) supporting the reforestation of Gondar (Ethiopia). For more info about traveling and CO2-Compensation please click here.
As you are experienced surfers and travellers we just want to remind you of the most important things: Surfing gear:
- board, leash, wetsuit, wax etc.
- Sport / jogging shoes
- Pen and paper!
- Travel insurance, vaccinations, first-aid-kit (if you are not sure what to bring please consult a travel medicine center)
- Complete the registration form in your course with all required fields.
- Your registration automatically (and FOR FREE) makes you an Austrian Surfing community member
- Payment of course fee
- You are receiving the invoice, the course manuals, etc. as soon as (and only if!) you have made the payment AND registered; the invoice is also the reservation of your place!
Relevant surfing skills (on board type of your choice):
- Controlled surfing in beach breaks up to 1.5m faces
- Basic front- and backside bottom and top turns while
- Surfing green waves
- If the necessary surfing skills cannot be shown during the course, the participants can send in a video (2-3 waves frontside and backside) by 1 year after the course. Please note that in this case the Level 1 accreditations cannot be issued before we have received the videos. However, you will receive a document stating you have participated for use in the tax office, employment center etc.
- NARS Surf Coach Lifesaver Award
- The certificate can also be handed in later (up to 1 year) - please note that in this case the Level 1 accreditations cannot be issued before we have received your certificate. However, you will receive a document stating you have participated for use in the tax office, employment center etc.
- 4 weeks practical in a surf school / surf camp
In most legitimate surf schools and camps some sort of on-the-job-training is required. This training time can be reduced by doing a pre-practical in a surf camp prior to doing the coaching course. The pre-practical also helps you get your first experiences in the daily business of coaching and the surf camp vibes - please click here to find some suitable surf schools and camps!
We only need an email by the camp manager / head coach (sent to email@example.com) as a proof of your practical.
Due to the substantial difference in the quality of teaching of surf instructors who have done a practical and those who have not, a 4-weeks-practical (80 hours) is a prerequisite for being awarded the accreditation. Compared to other sports, surfing - as a sport characterized by direct interaction with nature, i.e. the power and at times unpredictability of the ocean - and surf coaching need a lot more experience that cannot be completely covered in the course. This practical can be done pre- or post-course, or as a combination of both, however it fits better into your plans. 2 weeks pre- and 2 weeks post-course would be ideal. We do not want to build any bureaucratic obstacles, we just want to ensure the high quality of our coaching programs! If you have any questions, please contact us!
Content of the coaching courses:
- Improving the future coach´s surfing skills (including video analysis)
- Teaching theoretical subjects
- Delivery of the practical lesson
Table of contents (short version):
- Definition of the term "surfing"
- Austrian Surfing and surfing in landlocked countries
- The Ocean
- Dangers and risks of surfing
- Safety and occupational knowledge
- First Aid and lifesaving techniques with the surf board
- Training theory and surf fitness training
- Surf rules and etiquette
- Surfing and the environment
- Surfing Terminology
- Written exams covering all parts of the course manual
- worksheets and essays
- Practicals: teaching theoretical subjects and delivering the practical lesson
- Surfing skills (demonstrating beginner techniques as well as own surfing skills)
If all prerequisites for participation are met and the examinations have been passed, the licenses are issued.
Validity of the accreditations: 1 year
- Check your status: www.isasurf.org/development-programs/coaching-instructing/certified-instructors-directory/
- Click http://theisafoundation.org/product/coaching-renewals and follow the instructions.
Everyone who is currently registered in the ISA Online register (ISA accreditations) and sends us an email receives the AS licence (with an exact listing of the content and hours needed to get the licence).
Maria Theresienstrasse 36
Please note "ISA and AS L1 course" in the money transfer!
You are receiving the invoice, the course manuals, etc., as soon as (and only if!) you have made the bank transfer AND registered; the invoice is also the reservation of your place! The payment should be made at least 4 weeks before the course. It is NOT possible to pay in cash on the spot for legal reasons. If the money transfer has not arrived in our account by the start of the course, a 50 € processing fee applies!
- Cancellation until 3 months before the course start: Only a 50 € handling fee applies.
- Cancellation between 3 months and 1 month before the course start: 300 € cancellation fee.
- Cancellation between 1 month and 2 weeks before the course start: 50% of the course fees are charged.
- Cancellation within 2 weeks before the course start: 80% of the course fees are charged.
- No-show: Full course fee is charged.