The Surf Coach Level 2 is entitled to instruct intermediate to advanced surfers (up to club level surfers) and has the relevant knowledge to act as a camp manager and head coach. Therefore - in addition to advanced surfers´ coaching skills - the focus is also on the organisational side of surf coaching, management and leadership skills.
The course consists of the ISA L2 surf instructor course plus extra modules developed by AS to cater for the special needs of surf camps. This combination has established our coaching program as the most requested one in surf camps in Europe and worldwide.
- The ISA accreditation is the only accreditation globally recognized by the ISA
- Austrian Surfing is (as one of only a few European Surfing Associations) recognized by our National Sports Organisation (and thus federally recognized!)
The Certified ISA Judge Course is included in the Level 2 course without any extra fees!
Vieux Boucau, France
Accommodation is in the Atlantic Surf Lodge - check out www.atlantic-surflodge.com. As a member of the Surf School Alliance the Atlantic Surf Lodge stands for the highest standard in surf coaching and is therefore the perfect location for our courses.
Train (for cheap train fares check your national railroad companies and for early-booking-specials check www.tgv.com), car (please use our special Facebook group for car-pooling), Rip Curl Express or plane (to Biarritz, from there by train or bus to Dax).
From Dax you take the public bus to Vieux Boucau les Bains: http://www.rdtl.fr
THE AS GREEN ROOM: If you travel environment-friendly by train and bus or by car-pooling (3 or more participants per car) you get 15 € of the course price back during the course if you show us the invoice!
Costs and benefits: 799€ for:
- 7 days course, course manuals and workbooks (AS and ISA), worksheets, beginner boards, examination fees - there are no hidden costs in our courses!
- 7 nights in the Atlantic Surf Lodge (see above: 'Location')
- Full board: Rich breakfast buffet, beach snack, dinner
- AS GREEN ROOM: thanks to our partner VERIVAL BIO we can offer almost all food in organic quality (depending on the availability of the bread we have to buy in France) - this results in more energy for surfing and is also better for mother earth :)
- ISA membership (1 year)
- Name appears in ISA Surf Coach Online Register for one year
- Name appears in ISA Judge Online Register for one year
- AS and ISA accreditations
- AS job service: We are in contact with more than 50 surf camps and forward their job offers to all AS instructors
- AS update service: As all knowledge is dynamic we are constantly revising our course manuals in order to include new findings. The new manuals are sent to you as PDFs to ensure your level is always state-of-the-art. It is our endeavour to not only provide one course, but also try to help you find a job and your way of life as a surfer and a friend of AS.
- AS Instructor Partner-Programme: Nexo Surfboards (www.nexosurfboards.com), Patagonia (www.patagonia.com), Seidl Surfshop (www.boardshop.at) - special deals for our instructors!
As we have been receiving quite a few requests lately: Please understand that it is not possible to do the course without food and accommodation for organisational and logistical reasons. We are happy to have the Atlantic Surf Lodge as the perfect location for the definitely demanding course, as a result of its infrastructure we can run the course as smooth and time efficient as possible.
Course start: 3:30 p.m. (check in 3:00 p.m.), start is at 3:30 sharp!
Course end: 12:00 noon check out
Preparations / What to bring:
As you are experienced surfers and travellers we just want to remind you of the most important things:
- Surfing gear: board, leash, wetsuit, wax etc.
- Sport / jogging shoes
- Pen and paper!
- Travel insurance, vaccinations, first-aid-kit (if you are not sure what to bring please consult a travel medicine center)
- 2 months work experience as Level 1 instructor
- Surfing skills: Competent surfing in variable conditions and able to perform the basic manoeuvres (clean bottom turn, top turn and cutback; floater etc. in basic form)
- NARS Surf Coach Lifesaver Award or eqivalent award (http://www.austriansurfing.at/en/lifesaving-and-judging/lifesaving)
- Payment of course fees (Down payment to have a place reserved: € 250,-)
- You receive your invoice (also serving as a confirmation of your reservation!) only after the down payment AND the registration!!
Bank AustriaMaria Theresienstrasse 366020 InnsbruckAustriaIBAN: AT141200051467026415, BIC: BKAUATWW
Please note "ISA and AS L1 course" in the money transfer! IF YOU ARE TRANSFERRING THE MONEY FROM OUTSIDE OF THE EU WE WOULD LIKE TO ADVISE YOU TO PAY THE WHOLE COURSE FEE AT ONCE AS THE BANKS ARE CHARGING HIGH FEES PER TRANSACTION!
The outstanding payment should then be made within 10 days or at least by 3 weeks before the course. It is NOT possible to pay in cash on the spot for legal reasons. If the money transfer has not arrived in our account by the start of the course, a 50 € processing fee applies! The course manuals, info sheets etc. will be sent out after the full course fee has arrived on our account.
The lifesaving certificate can also be handed in later (up to 1 year) - please note that in this case the Level 2 accreditations cannot be issued before we have received your certificate. However, you will receive a confirmation of participation for use in the tax office, employment center etc.
If the necessary surfing skills cannot be shown during the course, the participants can send in a video (2-3 waves frontside and backside) by 1 year after the course. Please note that in this case the accreditation cannot be issued before we have received the videos. However, you can receive a document stating you have participated for use in the tax office, employment center etc.
If the necessary surfing skills cannot be shown during the course, the participants can send in a video (2-3 waves frontside and backside) by 1 year after the course. Please note that in this case the Level 1 accreditations cannot be issued before we have received the videos. However, you will receive a document stating you have participated for use in the tax office, employment center etc.
- Written exams covering all course contents
- Worksheets and essays
- Practicals: teaching theoretical subjects and delivering the practical lesson
- Surfing skills
ISA part (post-course!):
- 40 hours practical assignment (training advanced surfers), then:
- Online exam
- Teaching theoretical subjects for advanced surfers
- Delivery of the practical lesson
- Improving the instructor´s surfing skills (including video analysis)
Table of contents (Austrian Surfing part):
1. DEFINITION OF THE TERM SURFING
2. SURFING TERMINOLOGY
4. COACHING BEGINNERS
5. COACHING ADVANCED SURFERS (INCL. MANOEUVRES ETC.) AND SURFGUIDING
6. SURFING RULES AND ETIQUETTE
7. CONTEST SURFING
8. BIG WAVE SURFING
9. HISTORY OF SURFING
10. IMPORTANT SURF ORGANISATIONS
11.AUSTRIAN SURFING AND SURFING IN LANDLOCKED COUNTRIES
12.FAMOUS SURF SPOTS AND SURFERS
13. SURF EQUIPMENT
14. THE SEA
15. RISKS IN SURFING AND TRAVELLING
16. OCCUPATIONAL KNOWLEGDE AND SAFETY
17. LIFESAVING TECHNIQUES USING A SURF BOARD
18. SURF FITNESS
19. NUTRITION AND LIFESTYLE
20. BIOMECHANICAL PRINCIPLES
21. SURFING AND THE ENVIRONMENT
Table of contents (ISA part):
Training surfers – a holistic approach
Planning & Risk Management
Understanding the Judging Criteria
Principles of Training
Elements of Fitness
Development & Maturation
Lifestyle and Nutrition
Balance & Force
Fundamental Movements in Surfing
Movement Patterns of Core Moves
Novice Surfing Skills
Analytic Skills for Surf Coaches
The Accreditation Process
Austrian Surfing Surf Instructor Level 2 Licence - content and duration
Level 1 Licence 180 hours
2 months work experience as Level 1 Instructor 160 hours
7 days Level 2 course 70 hours
Post-course practical assessment 40 hours
Total: 450 hours
Table of contents of 7 days L2 course
Part 1: Theory 30 hours
1. Coaching advanced surfers (incl. manoeuvres, etc.) and surfguiding
2. Competitive surfing
3. Big wave surfing
4. The history of surfing
5. Important surf organizations
6. Surfboard construction - shaping
7. The ocean 2 - weather and surf spots
9. Hydrodynamics and biomechanics of surfing
Part 2: Beach sessions (instructing) 30 hours
Part 3: Surfing skills of the instructor (including video coaching) 10 hours
No-show: Full course fee is charged.