Oct. 12 - 19, 2013
May 17 - 24, 2014
Oct 11 - 18, 2014
The Surf Coach Level 2 is entitled to instruct intermediate to advanced surfers (up to club level surfers) and has the relevant knowledge to act as a camp manager and head coach. Therefore - in addition to advanced surfers´ coaching skills - the focus is also on the organisational side of surf coaching, management and leadership skills. The course consists of the ISA L2 surf instructor course plus extra modules developed by AS to cater for the special needs of surf camps. This combination has established our coaching program as the most requested one in surf camps in Europe and worldwide.
The ISA Judging Course is from 2014 on included in the Level 2 course without any extra fees!
Location: really special: accomodation is in the Atlantic Surf Lodge - check out www.atlantic-surflodge.com
Getting there: Train (for cheap train fares check your national railroad companies and for early-booking-specials check www.tgv.com), car (all email adresses will be sent out one month before the start of the course for car-pooling), Rip Curl Express or plane (to Biarritz, from there by train or bus to Dax).
From Dax you take the public bus to Vieux Boucau les Bains: http://www.rdtl.fr
THE AS GREEN ROOM: If you travel environment-friendly by train and bus or by car-pooling (3 or more participants per car) you get 15 € of the course price back during the course if you show us the invoice!
Costs and benefits: 790€ for:
- 7 days course, course manuals and workbooks (AS and ISA), worksheets, beginner boards, examination fees - there are no hidden costs in our courses!
- 7 nights in the Atlantic Surf Lodge (see above: 'Location')
- full board: rich breakfast buffet, beach snack, dinner
- ISA membership (1 year)
- Name appears in ISA Surf Coach Online Register for one year
- Name appears in ISA Judge Online Register for one year
- AS and ISA accreditations
- AS job service: we are in contact with more than 45 surf camps and forward their job offers to 'our' instructors
- AS update service: as all knowledge is dynamic we are constantly revising our course manuals in order to include new findings. The new manuals are sent to you as PDFs to ensure your level is always state-of-the-art. It is our endeavour to not only provide one course, but also try to help you find a job and your way of life as a surfer and a friend of AS.
- AS Instructor Partner-Programme: Nexo Surfboards (www.nexosurfboards.com), Patagonia (www.patagonia.com), Seidl Surfshop (www.boardshop.at) - special deals for our instructors!
As we have been receiving quite a few requests lately: please understand that it is not possible to do the course without food and accommodation for organisational and logistical reasons. We are happy to have the Atlantic Surf Lodge as the perfect location for the definitely demanding course, as a result of its infrastructure we can run the course as smooth and time efficient as possible.
Course start: Saturday, 3:30 p.m. (check in 3:00 p.m.), start is 3:30 sharp!
Course end: Saturday 12:00 noon check out
Preparations / What to bring:
As you are experienced surfers and travellers we just want to remind you of the most important things:
- Surfing gear: board, leash, wetsuit, wax etc.
- Sport / jogging shoes
- Pen and paper!
- Travel insurance, vaccinations, first-aid-kit (if you are not sure what to bring please consult a travel medicine center)
- Registration via email to
including first name, surname, full address, date of birth - this automatically (and FOR FREE) makes you an Austrian Surfing community-member: www.austriansurfing.at/en/about-us/membership
- Valid ISA and AS Level 1 accreditation - holders of other accreditations please contact:
- 2 months work experience as Level 1 instructor
- Surfing skills: competent in surfing in variable conditions and able to perform the basic manoeuvres (clean bottom turn, top turn and cutback; floater etc. in basic form)
- NARS Surf Coach Lifesaver Award or eqivalent award (http://www.austriansurfing.at/en/lifesaving-and-judging/lifesaving)
- Payment of course fees (Down payment to have a place reserved: € 250,-)
- You receive your invoice (also serving as a confirmation of your reservation!) only after the down payment AND the registration!!
BLZ: 12000, IBAN: AT141200051467026415, BIC: BKAUATWW
PLEASE NOTE "AS AND ISA LEVEL 2" IN THE MONEY TRANSFER!
- The outstanding payment should then be made within 10 days or at least by 3 weeks before the course. It is in general NOT possible to pay in cash on the spot - if the money transfer has been forgotten and on the spot payment is necessary, a 50 € processing fee applies!
The lifesaving certificate can also be handed in later (up to 1 year) - please note that in this case the Level 2 accreditations cannot be issued before we have received your certificate. However, you will receive a confirmation of participation for use in the tax office, employment center etc.
If the necessary surfing skills cannot be shown during the course, the participants can send in a video (2-3 waves frontside and backside) by 1 year after the course. Please note that in this case the accreditation cannot be issued before we have received the videos. However, you can receive a document stating you have participated for use in the tax office, employment center etc.
- Written exams covering all course contents
- Worksheets and essays
- Practicals: teaching theoretical subjects and delivering the practical lesson
- Surfing skills
ISA part (post-course!)
- 40 hours practical assignment (training advanced surfers), then:
- Online exam
- Teaching theoretical subjects for advanced surfers
- Delivery of the practical lesson
- Improving the instructor´s surfing skills (including video analysis)
Table of contents (Austrian Surfing part):
1. DEFINITION OF THE TERM SURFING
2. SURFING TERMINOLOGY
4. COACHING BEGINNERS
5. COACHING ADVANCED SURFERS (INCL. MANOEUVRES ETC.) AND SURFGUIDING
6. SURFING RULES AND ETIQUETTE
7. CONTEST SURFING
8. BIG WAVE SURFING
9. HISTORY OF SURFING
10. IMPORTANT SURF ORGANISATIONS
11.AUSTRIAN SURFING AND SURFING IN LANDLOCKED COUNTRIES
12.FAMOUS SURF SPOTS AND SURFERS
13. SURF EQUIPMENT
14. THE SEA
15. RISKS IN SURFING AND TRAVELLING
16. OCCUPATIONAL KNOWLEGDE AND SAFETY
17. LIFESAVING TECHNIQUES USING A SURF BOARD
18. SURF FITNESS
19. NUTRITION AND LIFESTYLE
20. BIOMECHANICAL PRINCIPLES
21. SURFING AND THE ENVIRONMENT
Table of contents (ISA part):
Training surfers – a holistic approach
Planning & Risk Management
Understanding the Judging Criteria
Principles of Training
Elements of Fitness
Development & Maturation
Lifestyle and Nutrition
Balance & Force
Fundamental Movements in Surfing
Movement Patterns of Core Moves
Novice Surfing Skills
Analytic Skills for Surf Coaches
The Accreditation Process
Cancellation until 3 months before the course start: Only a 50 € handling fee applies.
Cancellation between 3 months and 1 month before the course start: The down-payment is charged (=250€).
Cancellation between 1 month and 2 weeks before the course start: 50% of the course fees are charged.
Cancellation within 2 weeks before the course start: 80% of the course fees are charged.
No-show: Full course fee is charged.