Our goal is the training of competent surf coaches with the relevant surfing skills and knowledge to be able to independently instruct surfers at beginner to intermediate stage in surf schools as well as assist the head coach / Level 2 Instructor in doing his tasks in surf camps (where special skills are requested).
The course consists of the ISA L1 surf instructor course plus extra modules developed by AS to cater for the special needs of surf camps. This combination has established our coaching program as the most requested one in surf camps in Europe and worldwide.
- The ISA accreditation is the only accreditation globally recognized by the ISA
- Austrian Surfing is (as one of only a few European Surfing Associations) recognized by our National Sports Organisation (and thus federally recognized!)
Vieux Boucau, France
Accomodation is in the Atlantic Surf Lodge - check out www.atlantic-surflodge.com. As a member of the Surf School Alliance the Atlantic Surf Lodge stands for the highest standard in surf coaching and is therefore the perfect location for our courses.
Train (for cheap train fares check your national railroad companies and for early-booking-specials check www.tgv.com or www.voyages-sncf.com) to DAX, car (please use our special Facebook group for car-pooling), Rip Curl Express or plane (to Biarritz, from there by bus to Vieux Boucau: www.chronoplus.fr).
THE AS GREEN ROOM: If you travel environment-friendly by train and bus or by car-pooling (3 or more participants per car) you get 15 € of the course price back during the course if you show us the invoice!
Costs and benefits: 849 € for:
- 7 days course, course manuals and workbooks (AS and ISA as PDFs), worksheets, beginner boards, examination fees - there are no hidden costs in our courses! The only fee to be paid on the spot is the 0,73 € / day "taxe de séjour", a French tourism tax that is always collected by the accommodation provider and goes straight to the authorities.
- 7 nights in the Atlantic Surf Lodge (see above: 'location')
- Full board: Rich breakfast buffet, beach snack, dinner
- AS GREEN ROOM: thanks to our partner VERIVAL BIO we can offer almost all food in organic quality (depending on the availability of the bread we have to buy in France) - this results in more energy for surfing and is also better for mother earth :)
- ISA membership (1 year)
- Name appears in ISA Surf Coach Online Register for one year
- L1 accreditations
- AS job service: We are in contact with more than 50 surf camps and forward their job offers to 'our' instructors
- AS update service: As all knowledge is dynamic we are constantly revising our course manuals in order to include new findings. The new manuals are sent to you as PDFs to ensure your level is always state-of-the-art. It is our endeavour to not only provide one course, but also try to help you find a job and your way of life as a surfer and a friend of AS.
- AS Instructor Partner-Programs: Nexo Surfboards (www.nexosurfboards.com) - special deals for our instructors!
As we have been receiving quite a few requests lately: Please understand that it is not possible to do the course without food and accommodation for organisational and logistical reasons. We are happy to have an appropriate location for the definitely demanding course, as a result of its infrastructure we can run the course as smooth and time efficient as possible!
Course start: 3:30 p.m. (check-in: 3 p.m.) Course starts at 3:30 sharp!
Course end: 12:00 noon check-out
Preparations / What to bring:
As you are experienced surfers and travellers we just want to remind you of the most important things:
- Surfing gear: board, leash, wetsuit, wax etc.
- Sport / jogging shoes
- Pen and paper
- Travel insurance, vaccinations, first-aid-kit (if you are not sure what to bring please consult a travel medicine center)
- Payment of course fee (down-payment to reserve a place: 300€, then rest-payment)
- You are receiving the invoice as soon as (and only if!) you have made the down-payment AND registered; the invoice is also the reservation of your place!
IBAN: AT141200051467026415, BIC: BKAUATWW
Please note "ISA and AS L1 course" in the money transfer! IF YOU ARE TRANSFERRING THE MONEY FROM OUTSIDE OF THE EU WE WOULD LIKE TO ADVISE YOU TO PAY THE WHOLE COURSE FEE AT ONCE AS THE BANKS ARE CHARGING HIGH FEES PER TRANSACTION!
The outstanding payment should then be made within 10 days or at least by 3 weeks before the course. It is NOT possible to pay in cash on the spot for legal reasons. If the money transfer has not arrived in our account by the start of the course, a 50 € processing fee applies! The course manuals, info sheets etc. will be sent out after the full course fee has arrived on our account.
- NARS Surf Coach Lifesaver Award (http://www.austriansurfing.at/en/lifesaving-and-judging/lifesaving) or equivalent
- Relevant surfing skills (on board type of your choice):
- Controlled surfing in beach breaks up to 1.5m faces
- Basic front- and backside bottom and top turns while
- Surfing green waves
- 4 weeks practical in a surf school / surf camp, see below 'practical'
Life Saving Certificate:
The certificate can also be handed in later (up to 1 year) - please note that in this case the Level 1 accreditations cannot be issued before we have received your certificate. However, you will receive a document stating you have participated for use in the tax office, employment center etc.
If the necessary surfing skills cannot be shown during the course, the participants can send in a video (2-3 waves frontside and backside) by 1 year after the course. Please note that in this case the Level 1 accreditations cannot be issued before we have received the videos. However, you will receive a document stating you have participated for use in the tax office, employment center etc.
In most legitimate surf schools and camps some sort of on-the-job-training is required. This training time can be reduced by doing a pre-practical in a surf camp prior to doing the coaching course. The pre-practical also helps you get your first experiences in the daily business of coaching and the surf camp vibes - please click here to find some suitable surf schools and camps!
- Written exams covering all parts of the course manual
- worksheets and essays
- Practicals: teaching theoretical subjects and delivering the practical lesson
- Surfing skills (demonstrating beginner techniques as well as own surfing skills)
Content of the coaching courses:
- Improving the future coach´s surfing skills (including video analysis)
- Teaching theoretical subjects
- Delivery of the practical lesson
Table of contents:
1. Role of the instructor
2.Safety of the surfer in your care
3. Instructing methods
4. Skill development
5. Progam planning
6. Equpment for the beginner surfer
1. DEFINITION OF THE TERM „SURFING“
3. AUSTRIANSURFING AND SURFING IN LANDLOCKED COUNTRIES
5. THE SEA
6. RISKS IN SURFING
7. RISK MANAGEMENT AND DUTY OF CARE
8. SURF RESCUE TECHNIQUES USING SURF BOARDS
9. SURF FITNESS TRAINING
10. SURF RULES AND ETIQUETTE
11. SURFING AND THE ENVIRONMENT
12. SURFING TERMINOLOGY
Austrian Surfing Surf Instructor Level 1 Licence - content and duration
7 days course: 70 hours
4 weeks practical in a surf school / surf camp: 80 hours
International Lifesaving Certificate including First Aid: 30 hours
Total: 180 hours
Table of contents of 7 days course:
Part 1: Theory: 30 hours
1. Definition of the term "surfing"
3. Austrian Surfing and surfing in landlocked countries
5. The sea
6. Risks in surfing
7. Risk management and duty of care
8. Surf rescue techniques using surf boards
9. Surf fitness training
10. Surf rules and etiquette
11. Surfing and the environment
12. Surfing terminology
Part 2: Beach sessions (instructing): 30 hours
Part 3: Surfing skills of the instructor (including video coaching): 10 hours
No-show: Full course fee is charged.