Vieux Boucau, France
April 12 - 19, 2014
June 7 - 14, 2014
Oct 1 - 8, 2014
Our goal is the training of competent surf coaches with the relevant surfing skills and knowledge to be able to independently instruct surfers at beginner to intermediate stage in surf schools as well as assist the head coach / Level 2 Instructor in doing his tasks in surf camps (where special skills are requested).
The course consists of the ISA L1 surf instructor course plus extra modules developed by AS to cater for the special needs of surf camps. This combination has established our coaching program as the most requested one in surf camps in Europe and worldwide.
Location: accomodation is in the Atlantic Surf Lodge - check out www.atlantic-surflodge.com
Getting there: Train (for cheap train fares check your national railroad companies and for early-booking-specials check www.tgv.com), car (all email adresses will be sent out one month before the start of the course for car-pooling), Rip Curl Express or plane (to Biarritz, from there by train or bus to Dax).
From Dax you take the public bus to Vieux Boucau les Bains: http://www.rdtl.fr
THE AS GREEN ROOM: If you travel environment-friendly by train and bus or by car-pooling (3 or more participants per car) you get 15 € of the course price back during the course if you show us the invoice!
Costs and benefits: 790€ for:
- 7 days course, course manuals and workbooks (AS and ISA as PDFs), worksheets, beginner boards, examination fees - there are no hidden costs in our courses!
- 7 nights in the Atlantic Surf Lodge (see above: 'location')
- Full board: rich breakfast buffet, beach snack, dinner
- AS GREEN ROOM: thanks to our partner VERIVAL BIO we can offer almost all food in organic quality (depending on the availability of veggies etc. we have to buy in France) - this results in more energy for surfing and is also better for mother earth :)
- ISA membership (1 year)
- Name appears in ISA Surf Coach Online Register for one year
- L1 accreditation
- AS job service: we are in contact with more than 45 surf camps and forward their job offers to 'our' instructors
- AS update service: as all knowledge is dynamic we are constantly revising our course manuals in order to include new findings. The new manuals are sent to you as PDFs to ensure your level is always state-of-the-art. It is our endeavour to not only provide one course, but also try to help you find a job and your way of life as a surfer and a friend of AS.
- AS Instructor Partner-Programs: Nexo Surfboards (www.nexosurfboards.com), Patagonia (www.patagonia.com), Seidl Surfshop (www.boardshop.at) - special deals for our instructors!
As we have been receiving quite a few requests lately: please understand that it is not possible to do the course without food and accommodation for organisational and logistical reasons. We are happy to have an appropriate location for the definitely demanding course, as a result of its infrastructure we can run the course as smooth and time efficient as possible!
Course start: Saturday, 3:30 p.m. (check-in: 3 p.m.) Course starts at 3:30 sharp!
Course end: Saturday, 12:00 noon check-out
Preparations / What to bring:
As you are experienced surfers and travellers we just want to remind you of the most important things:
- Surfing gear: board, leash, wetsuit, wax etc.
- Sport / jogging shoes
- Pen and paper
- Travel insurance, vaccinations, first-aid-kit (if you are not sure what to bring please consult a travel medicine center)
IBAN: AT141200051467026415, BIC: BKAUATWW
Please note "ISA and AS L1 course" in the money transfer!
The outstanding payment should then be made within 10 days or at least by 3 weeks before the course. It is in general NOT possible to pay in cash on the spot - if the money transfer has been forgotten and on the spot payment is necessary, a 50 € processing fee applies!
- Controlled surfing in beach breaks up to 1.5m faces
- Basic front- and backside bottom and top turns while
- Surfing green waves
- 4 weeks practical in a surf school / surf camp, see below 'practical'
Life Saving Certificate:
The certificate can also be handed in later (up to 1 year) - please note that in this case the Level 1 accreditations cannot be issued before we have received your certificate. However, you will receive a document stating you have participated for use in the tax office, employment center etc.
If the necessary surfing skills cannot be shown during the course, the participants can send in a video (2-3 waves frontside and backside) by 1 year after the course. Please note that in this case the Level 1 accreditations cannot be issued before we have received the videos. However, you will receive a document stating you have participated for use in the tax office, employment center etc.
In most legitimate surf schools and camps some sort of on-the-job-training is required. This training time can be reduced by doing a pre-practical in a surf camp prior to doing the coaching course. The pre-practical also helps you get your first experiences in the daily business of coaching and the surf camp vibes - we recommend looking for places in time and gladly help you find a place!
Due to the substantial difference in the quality of teaching of surf instructors who have done a practical and those who have not, from now on a 4-weeks-practical (80 hours) is a prerequisite for being awarded the accreditation. Compared to other sports, surfing - as a sport characterised by direct interaction with nature, i.e. the power and at times unpredictability of the ocean - and surf coaching need a lot more experience that cannot be completely covered in the course. This practical can be done pre- or post-course, or as a combination of both, however it fits better into your plans. We do not want to build any bureaucratic obstacles, we just want to ensure the high quality of our coaching programs! If you have any questions, please contact us at
- Written exams covering all parts of the course manual
- worksheets and essays
- Practicals: teaching theoretical subjects and delivering the practical lesson
- Surfing skills (demonstrating beginner techniques as well as own surfing skills)
Content of the coaching courses:
- Improving the future coach´s surfing skills (including video analysis)
- Teaching theoretical subjects
- Delivery of the practical lesson
Table of contents:
1. Role of the instructor
2.Safety of the surfer in your care
3. Instructing methods
4. Skill development
5. Progam planning
6. Equpment for the beginner surfer
1. DEFINITION OF THE TERM „SURFING“
3. AUSTRIANSURFING AND SURFING IN LANDLOCKED COUNTRIES
5. THE SEA
6. RISKS IN SURFING
7. RISK MANAGEMENT AND DUTY OF CARE
8. SURF RESCUE TECHNIQUES USING SURF BOARDS
9. SURF FITNESS TRAINING
10. SURF RULES AND ETIQUETTE
11. SURFING AND THE ENVIRONMENT
12. SURFING TERMINOLOGY
Austrian Surfing Surf Instructor Level 1 Licence - content and duration
7 days course: 70 hours
4 weeks practical in a surf school / surf camp: 80 hours
International Lifesaving Certificate including First Aid: 30 hours
Total: 180 hours
Table of contents of 7 days course:
Part 1: Theory: 30 hours
1. Definition of the term "surfing"
3. Austrian Surfing and surfing in landlocked countries
5. The sea
6. Risks in surfing
7. Risk management and duty of care
8. Surf rescue techniques using surf boards
9. Surf fitness training
10. Surf rules and etiquette
11. Surfing and the environment
12. Surfing terminology
Part 2: Beach sessions (instructing): 30 hours
Part 3: Surfing skills of the instructor (including video coaching): 10 hours
Cancellation until 3 months before the course start: Only a 50 € handling fee applies.
Cancellation between 3 months and 1 month before the course start: The down-payment is charged (=250€).
Cancellation between 1 month and 2 weeks before the course start: 50% of the course fees are charged.
Cancellation within 2 weeks before the course start: 80% of the course fees are charged.
No-show: Full course fee is charged.